Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Darwin



Darwin is an experience that will stay with me for long. Had no clue as to what I am going to find when I accepted the job here. But adventure loving that I am, just set off to the place, and here I am for 3 months now. It’s the capital of the Northern Territory of Australia. A small place for a capital, but then NT is a very sparsely populated place. Darwin has been destroyed by cyclones quite frequently and rebuilt about 5 times so far – the last time in 70s I think.



There is a huge number of aboriginal population here. In fact NT has the highest aboriginal population in Australia. In the hospital itself, about 50 to 60 percent of patients are aboriginal. Most of them speak in their local languages and have very basic conversational English. There are so many diverse tribes among them with varied cultural practices. I have particularly found their paintings very beautiful. Most of the themes of these paintings are animals and nature or the story of their ancestors and creation. I would have loved to buy a few of the paintings but they are quite expensive.
So is their music instrument – the Didgeridoo -Its made of wood – from a particular tree, and used to produce crude but entertaining music.







The job itself is interesting, with lots of tropical and infectious diseases seen. Good addition to my resume.
Haven't visited a lot in NT yet, but hopefully, will see a few places before I finish this job and leave Australia.


No comments: